It was a mildly warm winter afternoon when we got a call from a client who was in need of urgent medical assistance. Our team of highly trained paramedics rushed to the scene and were able to pick up the patient. Unfortunately on their way to the hospital one of the paramedics, Morne Van der Klashorst was stung by a bee.

For most people, a bee sting is just a nuisance. You may experience temporary sharp pain, swelling, redness, warmth, and itching at the sting site, but no serious complications.

If you’re allergic to bees, or you get stung multiple times, bee stings can be more problematic. They can even be life-threatening and such was the case with Morne.

Some people like Morne are allergic to the toxins left by bees when they sting and can experience some severe allergic reactions, which can cause:

  • hives
  • pale skin
  • severe itching
  • swelling of the tongue and throat
  • difficulty breathing
  • rapid pulse
  • nausea and vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • dizziness
  • loss of consciousness

If you experience any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, seek medical assistance immediately. If you are alone, do not attempt to drive yourself to the hospital rather contact Emergency Assist 991.

Bottom line bee stings can be very painful whether you are allergic to bees or not. Follow the example of our hero Morne and seek medical assistance. We are very grateful that he is making a full recovery.